In 1992, board certified ophthalmologist and Fellow of the American Academy of Cosmetic Surgeons Todd L. Beyer, DO, and therapeutically licensed optometrist Jerry Sude, OD, united to create a unique medical alliance combining both ophthalmology and optometry in one extraordinary, state-of-the-art facility known as System Optics. Dr. Beyer and Dr. Sude were among the first vision care specialists in Ohio to have both ophthalmology and optometry services all under one roof.
A one-stop shop for optimal eye health care, Dr. Beyer and Dr. Sude added the specialties of Dr. James L. Johnston, Jr., board certified neuro-ophthalmologist, and Dr. Joseph J. Pirman, therapeutically licensed optometrist. With a vision team in place, the doors of System Optics opened on October 26, 1992.
Expanding Our Services
After years of growth and the boom of laser vision correction, a 3,800-square-foot fully-accredited onsite ambulatory care Surgery Center was constructed on the north side of the building in 1998. This allowed the ophthalmologists to offer the following procedures onsite:
- Outpatient Cataract Surgery
- LASIK Surgery—Nearsighted, Farsighted and Astigmatism patients.
- Laser Eye Surgery—Diabetic, Glaucoma, Macular Degenerative and Secondary Cataract patients
- Blepharoplasty (Eyelid tucks)
- Eyebrow Lifts and Forehead Lifts—Endoscopic Lifts or Subcutaneous Lifts
- Full Facelift and Partial Facelifts
Demand for Cosmetic Procedures Increases
Dr. Beyer, who is also an oculofacial-plastic surgeon, began to see an increase in the demand for cosmetic eye and facial surgeries. Services include:
- Botox, Radiesse, Restylane and Juvederm wrinkle reducer and filler Treatments
- Facial Peel Treatments
- Laser Hair Removal
- NLite Laser Treatments for wrinkles and acne
So Long System Optics, Hello Novus Clinic
With the natural addition of the cosmetic eye and facial surgery, and facial rejuvenation practice, the name “System Optics” no longer told the story of all the services offered. In 2003, a name change to Novus Clinic was announced. Novus, which is Latin for Novellas, means new, fresh and extraordinary.
In 2005, Novus Clinic grew again adding one of the few board certified retinal surgeons in the state of Ohio, Dr. Donald C. Stephens. Novus Clinic also added a second location in Coventry at 3510 Manchester Road, welcoming therapeutically licensed optometrist Dr.Kenneth Giusto.
Novus Clinic Now
Nearly 15 years later, Novus Clinic is Summit County’s premier vision and skin care center with convenient evening and weekend hours for its patients. Optical services onsite at EyesWest include:
- Adult and Pediatric Eye Exams, Dry Eye Therapy
- High fashion glasses and contact lenses
- Ortho-K (non-surgical vision shaping system)